Sunday, November 30, 2008

Mumbai in grip of terrorists!!!










If only,….!!!

From a very young age, I had been brought up in very peaceful circumstances. And trust most of you would have been as well. The last three days of battle here, right at the heart of the commercial capital of India has just about squashed any hopes we would have had in bringing up our children much the same way how we were brought up. And dare I say, more such instances to follow!

I may be punished for my impunity, but I have to look back at the series of events. Why did 154 innocent civilians have to ever lose their lives? Why was a young major made to cut his career when he was in the line of duty, when he could have done much more for the nation, and importantly his family? Miles away from all the mindless action, my mind asks me this question, “If Only..”

If only had our Coastal Guard services had been more alert, the terrorists would not have been able to sneak in.

If only had our dearest Prime Minister (pun intended) had the prudent guts to punish every act of terrorism that has jolted this country of ours!

If only had Afzal Guru been hanged to death when he was found guilty, we would not have been portrayed as a soft state on terrorism, which we are.

If only had 520 parliamentarians been killed in the 2001 attack, we would have seen a completely different India now. The government would have been hassled then to take actions to prevent terrorism from killing our civilians.

As I speak, our Government has reacted by asking the Pakistani government to send over the ISI chief to Delhi. And by the time I finish with this, I am sure the Pakistani government would shoot down this proposal. If only, our Government has the guts to cross the line and puncture the thousand and more terrorist camps functioning near Muzaffarabad, Faridkot and other places, it could eliminate a part of the problem.

And the list of if only continues. I am not a politician, and thus would leave the dirty words to be spoken by them. Admirably though, no such political comments have come out thus far. But knowing our politicians, it is a matter of sooner than later.

I am pained at seeing an empty Churchgate station. I am pained at seeing Mumbaikars stopping at the sound of the smallest thud! I am pained when I see so many families weeping over the loss of their near and dear ones. If only, our politicians can see through what is going in their minds.

If only, my appeal goes out to them, which I know won’t and even if it does, consider a blind eye turned, I would request action to be taken. I know this sounds cliché, but facts cannot be ignored. 40 terrorists came in to Mumbai, as per the confession of the arrested terrorist. As per NSG reports, 10 or thereabout terrorists have been slain and 1 arrested.

Rather than claiming victory over terror only to bolster their vote bank, if only the government realizes that about 29 terrorists are still on the loose. If only the government does take some action to quickly nab the culprits, we may not see a repeat of 26-11.

If only…

Source: http://bigb.bigadda.com/2008/11/28/day-219/#comments
Comment #24 By C Vishwanathan

No comments: